Madrona Nutrition and Fitness: Recipe and Nutrition Guide

Madrona Nutrition and Fitness:
Guide to Wellness through Holistic Diet
and Lifestyle

Rachel Fiske
Certified Holistic Nutrition Consultant,
Certified Personal Trainer

Monday, March 28, 2011

Homemade "Lara" Bars

I've recently found myself all too often spending $2+ on Lara bars...as they are really the only healthy snack food you can buy in any close proximity to my work-place. They only have 2 or 3 ingredients, such as cashews, dates, and coconut. I thought to myself over the weekend, "I could easily make 10 of these for the price I'm paying for 1 or 2." And not only was that accomplished, but (if I may brag for a moment), they came out much better! It really is so simple to make our own snack foods, whether they be raw like this recipe, dehydrated (still raw of course, but a bit more time consuming), or something baked, such as homemade granola bars (which can also be made grain or gluten free, depending on your diet/taste/digestive status). My one problem with these is exercising self-control...while they are undoubtedly healthy, they do contain a good amount of sugar (dried fruit), so its important not to go crazy! Check out the recipe:

Homemade "Lara" Bars
Adapted from loveveggiesandyoga.com

Ingredients:

1 cup organic dried fruit (whatever you want, I used dates, currants, and cranberries)
2/3 cup nuts and seeds (again, any kind will work, I used walnuts and almonds because thats what I had around)

Variations:

As with any recipe, you can play around with this! I added cinnamon, a bit of raw cacoa powder, and shredded coconut. Experiment with your favorite spices!

Steps:

Grind nuts/seeds in either a Vitamix or food processor, remove and set aside.
Next, grind dried fruit 
Add ground nut/seed mixture to fruit, and grind together until it forms a paste (also, add whatever other ingredients you'd like at this point)
Last, lay out mixture and form into bars/balls/whatever you want. Wrap individually (or not, although they do stick together a bit), and refrigerate.

Its that simple...Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment