Madrona Nutrition and Fitness: Recipe and Nutrition Guide

Madrona Nutrition and Fitness:
Guide to Wellness through Holistic Diet
and Lifestyle

Rachel Fiske
Certified Holistic Nutrition Consultant,
Certified Personal Trainer

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Veggie Pancake Recipe

It is always a challenge for me to include enough veggies at breakfast, as I grew up eating sweet, dessert-like breakfasts, and now that I realize how devastating this is to my energy throughout the day, have realized the need to find (quality) protein and fat rich breakfasts that will sustain my blood sugar, set me off on the right foot, and are quick enough to make early in the morning. Here is one of my recent favorites, and it can be modified/experimented with....get creative! Also, if you're pressed for time in the morning, try grating the veggies the night before.

Ingredients:

1-2 cups vegetables of your choosing, I like to include a combo of: zucchini, summer squash, sweet potato, carrots
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 egg
Spices of your choosing, I like: salt, pepper, and a touch of cinnamon

Directions:

Simply mix all together, cook stovetop in coconut oil, and serve topped with 1-2 eggs, sunnyside up or over easy!

Modifications:

For a sweeter pancake, stick to sweet potatoes for a sort of modified "latke." Then add cinnamon, cardamom, and a touch of sea salt. I've also added grated or finely chopped kale before

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant Recipe! This might be the most healthiest version of a pancake recipe I've ever seen. I'll try your pancake recipe before I get my Food Safety Course. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete