Madrona Nutrition and Fitness: Recipe and Nutrition Guide

Madrona Nutrition and Fitness:
Guide to Wellness through Holistic Diet
and Lifestyle

Rachel Fiske
Certified Holistic Nutrition Consultant,
Certified Personal Trainer

Friday, June 3, 2011

Letter From an Angry Tufts Nutrition Researcher...

I received this letter recently from someone I used to know, who is now studying and researching the economics of food at Tufts University (a very noble, yet very different field of study). Her message is very angry and accusatory, yet I think (sadly) indicative of how a more mainstream nutrition "professional" might see the work practiced by a more holistic nutrition model. I wanted to share not only her letter, but my response, so all of my blog followers can have a better understanding of what I do! I posted it here on my blog, so see the link if interested!


Hey Rachel-

I don't know if you have your RD, but if you don't, I just wanted to say that I think it is totally inappropriate for you to be giving dietary advice! I hope your clients know that you aren't an RD (are you? correct me if I'm wrong). I am NOT an RD, which is why I NEVER give dietary advice, and, if someone asks me, "well, you're doing your PhD in nutrition, don't you know enough to give me dietary advice?" I respond, "no, I don't, I'm a researcher, I am NOT clinically trained, I haven't taken the exam, and my specialty is in the economics of food, so here is the phone number of a good RD that I know."

Probably you should do the same, especially because it seems that you are recommending only what is "trendy" in the world of "alternative nutrition," things that haven't necessarily been established in the literature yet.... I hope your clients know that you're not qualified! It bothers me when people give advice when they aren't certified or appropriately trained, because they think they're just "going against the system," which is apparently cool and hip and makes you not have to get the proper credentials.

Look, if you really want to change the system (and I understand that there are important things to change, and things that could be improved), just get the RD, and work in policy or research! Change it from the inside...otherwise, you're just whining! The patients/clients who really need people like you (educated in health/nutrition), are mostly poor, and can't afford your fees unless you work in a clinical setting, which you can't do if you don't have an RD! Unless you do pro-bono for malnourished, poor clients, don't pretend that you are "making a difference" in any consequential way.

Anyway, feel free to un-friend me....(maybe I should un-friend you, my message might provoke some kind of vindictive backlash, I suppose??)....I'll understand if you do, this is obviously a very bitchy, arrogant, butting-in-to-your-life-when-I-don't-know-you-anymore message. Unfortunately, I couldn't help it. I'm quite an arrogant person, and fine with it! Have a nice life! Try not to give anyone heart disease.



MY RESPONSE:

Don't fear a vindictive backlash, while I do think your message was a bit ignorant (and undoubtedly arrogant, as you pointed out), I think you are the one getting more worked up here than I am! However, I would like to address a few things.

First of all, I'm not sure if in between your rants you were able to check out my website to see what I actually do, but just in case you don't know, I do have a 2 year certification from Bauman College of Holistic Nutrition...I am not simply blogging about the "trendy" new fad diets out there. And let me tell you a bit about what got me to this point, since you're right, you don't know me at all.

Post Guatemala, I worked in social services with various non-profits for several years, both in domestic violence shelters and as a case manager for a child abuse prevention program, where I did home visits with my clients. Seeing the kinds of foods they were putting into their bodies, and the diseases that were created by lifetimes and generations worth of non-nourishing foods, along with some personal health issues, led me to consider getting my doctorate in Naturopathic medicine. After a few pre-reqs, I realized this was financially not feasible, and ended up finding Bauman College of Holistic Nutrition, since nutrition was/is my main area of interest.

My long term goal is to open a wellness center which provides, first and foremost, community education in poor/uneducated communities, and sliding scale fees (which if you saw on my website, I do now as well). So yes, I feel good about the difference I am working towards making, and I think it will be/is consequential.

As far as our ideas about food and diet go, we simply just don't agree, and that's ok. I do give dietary suggestions. I would never tell my clients who were thinking of visiting an RD not to, by any means, and I'm sure there are many good ones out there. But the RD's I've met in my practice have a very different approach than I take, which is more a USDA food pyramid based model (for example, fat is just a tiny little triangle, and canola oil is recommended, an oil that is oxidized before it even hits the shelves). Here is one of the various studies I have read, a 2010 meta-analysis on saturated fat and heart disease risk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

This is showing that there is very little statistical evidence for the occurrences of saturated fats and heart disease. Furthermore, the study does not specify the kinds of fats they were using...there is a world of difference between conventional (non-grassfed, commercial) butter, and raw, organic coconut oil, for example. Please also check out this following article by Mary Enig, PhD, an expert in lipid biochemistry and author of Know Your Fats, and Eat Fat, Lose Fat.

http://westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/526-skinny-on-fats

So do I think I'm "going against the system?" Perhaps sometimes I do when I am confronted by attitudes such as yours, but mainly what I focus on in my day to day practice is helping my clients who have (in most cases) tried a more conventional diet model (lower fat, higher carbs, for example), and have experienced ongoing health problems (ranging from something less serious like heart-burn to more serious degenerative disease). When they come to a Holistic Nutritionist, they generally realize that changes need to be made that are, many times, outside the scope of the RD's they have seen previously.

So thanks for your input, but I feel pretty good about the knowledge I have acquired, how much more there always is to learn, and the practice I am growing to help people, regardless of their economic status.

Rachel Fiske, NE, CPT-NASM
madronawellness.org

6 comments:

  1. This is great! Its a shame how unbelievably ignorant "educated" people can be! Wow. There is so much to be learned from what you post on this website, and such a shame that people out there feel the need to try to (unsuccessfully) discredit the obvious and proven benefits of healthy, organic eating! I think that Ms. Judgemental Judy should consider actually doing her research on holistic nutrition rather than exerting the ridiculous effort to try and put down someone who is actually making a difference and doing right in the world. Like Benjamin Franklin so eloquently said, “Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.” .... Just 'cause you go to school honey doesn't mean you know a thing... P.S. Great job Rachel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That woman must have had a bad day doing research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And definitely check out the following link to my facebook page to see more responses from both her and others! Good stuff....

    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=502166747

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel - Great response! I too had a similar encounter with an old friend from high school who is now a licensed RD. I posted a link on my facebook page asking for support to stop the AB575 bill. She instantly saw my post below and posted that she supported the bill 100% and didn't agree with anyone providing nutrition guidance unless they are a Registered Dietician.

    My Email:
    Great to hear from you. I got a message in my yahoo that you posted to my Facebook and I read it, but when I went to Facebook to respond it was gone.

    Anyway, I wanted to reply to your comment and provide a little more insight on my views. There are differences in what a dietician vs nutritionist can do for their clients. In no way am I or my fellow nutritionist trying to discredit the schooling & internship involved with becoming a dietitian. I actually looked into going that route a few years ago, but ultimately decided becoming a holistic nutritionist was a better fit for me and my personal views on nutrition and health.

    The school I attended is Bauman College here in the bay area. Interestingly enough we have Drs, Nurses, Dietitians, Massage Therapists, Acupuncturists, Naturopathic Drs, people who have sought education on nutrition because their healthcare system has failed them. I have fallen into the later category and feel most Drs I have seen in the past 10 years are keen on prescribing prescriptions for fixing every ailment while causing more in the process. I decided after spinning my wheels with the mainstream health industry that it was time for me to take my health into my own hands and that is where my research for additional schooling began. Being an avid endurance athlete for years, and having many food intolerances and allergies to the environment - going to this school has helped me learn to become healthy & energetic naturally without medications. I have had high cholesterol since I was 19, and after going to Bauman I have naturally lowered my cholesterol by Eating for Health diet. I have seen countless dietitians and Drs. over the years, and let's just say I never got the insight I learned while becoming a nutritionist. I am not trying discredit your schooling, and not everyone is a mainstream dietician. I would like to share a link to the school I attended so that you can see in more detail what the program entails. My personal specialities are sports nutrition & allergy immune support with the diet. Ultimately my goal is to work holistically with my client and their health care providers to ensure they are getting healthy and feeling well. We never diagnose ailments with our clients, we merely suggest foods that will help with symptoms that their prescriptions might be causing , working with them to eliminate foods that might be causing allergies, digestion issues, weight gain etc...

    The best analogy I can provide is comparing a Naturopathic Dr vs Medical Dr. They both go for schooling, and they both work to heal their patients. Naturopathic Dr's views are very different from Medical Drs views, and now most insurance companies at least in the state of California are covering their services, and allowing people to state them as their primary care physicians. Who is to say which Dr is right or wrong? I have the same views on a Board Certified Holistic Nutritionist vs Registered Dietitian. As a Holistic Nutritionist, I don't feel it is fair for Dietitians to try and monopolize the industry. We each offer different aspects on nutritional wellness to our clients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her Reply:

    Thanks for this reply. It did give me good insight. I like the way you explained your views and the views of your colleagues. It is hard when you hear all the bad advice that is given by someone that does not have a legitimate degree. I think sometimes we as dietitians jump to the conclusion that people that don't have a RD, are not experts at what they are doing. I guess too many bad stories just puts me on edge. I know Erin is taking classes as well. I hope I didn't offend you, I just had to get more information. I was looking up that bill and it seems like they are just regulating who uses the "registered dietitian" title, however most things I found didn't elaborate enough to understand the bill.

    Thanks for the information, any aspect of nutrition captures my interest, so I feel like now I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete